Sunday, January 24, 2010

Shopping Trips This Week

We went to Rainbow and Cub Foods this week to pick up some things that we were very nearly out of.  It seems that, as we near the end of the month, my desire to continue with the Eat From the Pantry Challenge is waning.  I think it is because I try to use up what we have in a normal month anyways, so putting the dollar restriction on ourselves is sort of... chafing.  I hate throwing things away that are perfectly good (but I don't eat things that I think are beyond recognition--it still scares me when I go to my parents house and can't decipher what certain things are).  When I buy celery, I try to use recipes that will allow me to use the whole thing.  I make chicken soup, then cut it up for tuna salad, and use the rest to dip in ranch dressing and eat with buffalo chicken burgers, like we did last week.

That being said, I think I'm going to allow myself to relax on the dollar amount this past week (even though we have just about everything to make the flexible menu plan that I've decided upon--which is subject to change depending on whether or not T gets called in to work).  I don't even really see anything in the ads which is very appealing, even though it breaks my heart because Rainbow is allowing you to double 10 coupons on Wednesday this week, instead of the usual 5!  We'll see what happens, but I'm no longer beating myself up about the amount we spend when we're are getting what we need and use at its cheapest.

So, here is what we bought this week:

Rainbow

6 boxes General Mills cereal
1 box penne pasta
1 family sized frozen pizza
2 frozen pizza singles
5 Kraft cheese
1 coffee creamer

Used:
3 $1 cereal MQ (doubled)
1 $.55 coffee creamer MQ (doubled)
1 $1 pasta MQ (doubled)

Spent $25.17
Saved $28.85


Cub Foods


3 12 packs Coke
1 mayo
1 head lettuce

Spent $12.97
Saved $3.87

No comments:

Post a Comment